Friday, January 10, 2014

Plastic Pioneers Plunge into Plastic Art and Fun (Loads of Photos Inside)

In the Fall of 2012 things started to take off for the plastic team at the Island School (IS) and the Cape Eleuthera Institute (CEI). During that time my primary focus was to maintain our aquaponics system and assist with teaching a marine research class. Luckily I was fortunate to have my feet in several different pools including the art and human ecology classes at the Island School. For the art class I would take all of the students to the beach to do a beach sweep. This activity allowed the students to witness the first hand effects of our dependence on plastic products and also provided the medium for their art projects where they either had to create an activist or up-cycled piece from plastic they collected. Both classes provided me the opportunity to enlighten the entire IS student
body about plastic pollution and inspired them to raise awareness of the issue and make changes within the local school community. Since then this has been a staple within the IS curriculum as I deliver my plastic lecture every semester in addition to continuing to help with the art and human ecology classes.

So if I had to recount the fall of 2012 via the plastic related things we did I would have to say: mini museum, plastic talk, cotton bay beach, beach sweeps, plastic art, plastic jewelry, plastic and human health awareness, plastic p.s.a videos, FUN!! Honorable mentions to everyone that was a part of the movement in the Fall of 2012 especially the Island School Fall 12 semester (so much love for that group), Nadine Lloyd, Serena Galleshaw and all teachers and interns involved.

Panoramic Photo Creds: Maria White


























No comments:

Post a Comment