Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Destination Majuro


After my nightcap in Guam, it was time to head to my final destination, Majuro, Marshall Islands. It took roughly 8 hours for me to get from Guam to Majuro, but this was not a nonstop plane ride. While en route to Majuro, I got a chance to visit the Federated States of Micronesia and another island of the Marshall Islands.  After leaving the A. B. Wong Airport in Guam we navigated towards Truk or Chuuk as the natives call it. Although I’ve only spent 40 minutes at the Truk airport that was enough time for me to experience the beauty of its landscape. Mountains or shall I say elevated hills with the combination of perfectly still crystal clear cerulean waters was truly a sight to see. This beautiful island has certainly turned me into a ‘kook for Chuuk’.

Once receiving our new passengers and dropping off our old ones we took flight for Pohnpei, the capital of The Federated States of Micronesia. Pacific Islanders are some of the most beautiful people I have ever encountered. Their customs and culture are so unique, I can’t help but be intrigued. While in the Pohnpei airport I was approached by local celebrity, D-Weezy also known as D-Jizzle. D-Jizzle, if you could not tell by the name, is a local rapper who goes to school in Georgia and aspires to be like rapper Lil’ Wayne. ‘Jizzle’, as he is known in the streets of Pohnpei is the self proclaimed innovator of rapping in the native language of Pohnpei called Sauw. Fascinated by his career, I asked him to rap for me, to which he did, until his mom dragged him away!! Haha!! Too funny! Jizzle had a crown of flowers on his head, I had also notice that everyone else in the airport had one on as well. Apparently whenever you are leaving the island you have to wear a lay (a chain of flowers) or a floral headdress. Sylvia, a local girl from the island, gave me her headdress made from a flower indigenous to Pohnpei so that I could adorn my crown with it.

So long Pohnpei, Hello Kosrae. Kosrae pronounced Koshri is the smallest of the Micronesian Islands. Fortunately for me I was seated next to a very lovely lady by the name of Pedricia who taught me all there was to know about her hometown. Kosrae, home of the sleeping lady mountain (if you visit the lowest point of the islands and look across it looks like a sleeping lady), is famous for their mountains, hiking, fishing, delicious tangerines, bananas and breadfruit. While at the airport I got my hands on some delicious non-processed homemade banana chips and breadsticks, which I assume was made out of breadfruit. It was so good. Unfortunately tangerines are out of season, they are said to be the best in The Pacific.

                                          Flying into Truk  (Chuuk)
                                          Chuuck Runway
                                           Homes in Chuuk

                                          Chuuk Airport
                                          Leaving Chuuk heading to Pohnpei
                                           So Beautiful



                                          D-Weezy a.k.a D-Jizzle and myself
                                         All aboard!!

                                                   My Pohnpei headdress



                                          My new friend Pedricia

                                                 Leaving for Kwajalein

                                          'We're coming, we're coming'!
'Kosrae' Breadticks and Banana Chips
After departing Kosrae we made a quick stop on the atoll of Kwajalein, Marshall Islands; because there was a U.S Military Base on the island we were not permitted to come off of the plane or take photos. Once leaving Kwajalein, we flew all the way to Majuro.

2 comments:

  1. We are so excited to hear about your Journey! We miss you on conch so come back soon but have an amazing rest of your adventure. XOXO the conch team - Meals, Shell, Rob, STEEEEVE, Sterlz, Shane, and Max

    ReplyDelete