Tuesday, May 1, 2012

YOKWE. Welcome to Majuro Atoll

The Republic of the Marshall Islands consists entirely of low lying coral atolls, evolutionary remnants of the more commonly known and visited high volcanic islands. There are 29 separate atolls in the Marshalls, containing a total of 1,225 islands, 870 reef systems, and 160 species of coral. The Marshalls are one of only a few all atoll nations in the world. ( Marshall Islands Visitors Authority)

Cool Stuff huh? So after four intense days of travelling I finally made it to Majuro, the capital of the Marshall Islands.My flight arrived here on April 30 at 8pm. After clearing customs and immigration, a process that was quite nerve-wrecking, I proceeded toward the entrance of the airport to wait for my ride to pick me up. Waiting............waiting....................waiting.....no one in sight so I did the next best thing. TAXI!! Since my Marshallese is quite rusty I asked a port officer if he knew where our research vessel the Sea Dragon was docked. He flagged down a driver and translated the directions to the him. We stopped at about two docks before radioing the boat, which was docked off shore. Once I located some of the crew, I hung out at the Robert Reimer Enterprises Hotel, where I spent the night.

On Tuesday, I got a chance to meet a lot of locals, buy local crafts, tour our sailboat, meet the other crew members (13 to be exact) and went snorkeling. I declare Tuesday a great day! While sitting on the dock waiting on the tender to take us to the sailboat, I chatted with an elderly man, I refered to him as my Marshallese grand dad. He said that I looked Marshallese (which I took as an honor) and promised to marry me off to his 26 year old grandson,I was certain to reassure him that I was here on business..........unless his grandson was quite the looker haha...just kidding!

Once the tender arrived we went to visit the Sea Dragon, our 72 foot sailing vessel, which is very lovely! Once we all got acquainted with the boat we set off on an adventure to Eneko Island, a secluded island about 45minutes away from Majuro. For the first time in my life I got a taste of the Pacific Ocean and several of its inhabitants. There were clownfish, triggerfish, surgeonfish, parrotfish, giant clams (they were small) urchins, beautiful coral, it was amazing! and the water was so warm. I think I'm in love with Majuro! I know it's only going to get better from here.



                                          I've been busting my brain trying to figure out this acronym

                                                   The dock
                                            Giant Clams


                                           Noni!
                                                   Local handmade crafts



                                                  How can one pass up handmade fish earrings?
                                         Turtle, Turtle, Turtle
                                          My Marshallese Granddad, or future in-law? lol j/k
                                         Some crew heading to the vessel

                                          The sea dragon



                                                  The Galley
                                                    The Saloon
                                       

                                         My bed
                                         Snorkel Time
                                          Casuarina everywhere!
                                          Look at that point source pollution
                                                Cheese!
                                         The Grand Boat Race, these were the only competitors






                                         Eneko Island
                                         Awesome Snorkeling of the shore


                                                   Cute little Marshallese boy
                                                    'Lady if you snap one more shot of me, you'll regret it"







                                            Plastic, Plastic everywhere
                                         Ocean side of the island
                                         You again












                                         Although these boat shoes are cute I am starting to think they are not skid resistant lol 

                                        Oh yea! Colonel Marshall is ready to serve you
                                       Tataki, so good. Pan seared tuna
                                          awwwww, big happy family.

Kristal Ocean.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures! I'm glad you're having such a great start to your adventure. :) You're in my prayers...

    ReplyDelete