Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Yokwe Means Hello and Goodbye


After spending an amazing two days and two nights in Majuro it was time to say my peace to the beautiful Atoll Island. With eight hours to kill before boarding our sailboat the Sea Dragon, I decided to go on a solo adventure around town to experience a tad bit more of Majuro while I had the chance.

“Taxi”, I yelled playfully while walking with Dale, one of the captains of Sea Dragon. We both laughed as he exclaimed that you can take the girl out of the islands but you can’t take the island out of the girl. After flagging down a taxi we bid ‘Yokwe’ to our taxi driver and continued on into town. Dale got off at the Customs and Immigration building to make sure all systems were ago for us to leave the island. Once he got out I continued on throughout the town.  I was in search of a particular t-shirt that I saw a local guy wearing so I got a list of stores that might have it from Tony, a waiter at the hotel where we were staying. My final destination would be Payless Shopping Mart but not before stopping at any and every store or building that caught my eye. Marshall Islands National Museum and Library was my first stop, I figured there was no time like the present to learn a bit more about the history of the Marshall Islands. Unfortunately there was not much of the library and museum to see. After climbing up the stairs, tracking down the librarian and asking her to open the museum portion of the building I had to make a u-turn out of the building. She explained that museum hadn’t been opened in years........well maybe months because of a mold problem they had. Boy was she telling the truth! The scent was unbearable not a possible health risk. I continued on with my exploration walk, comparing the environment around me to the environment back home in The Bahamas; very subtle similarities but subtle differences.

After knocking around town for another hour I found my t-shirt, not exactly what I wanted but it would make do. Before I knew it, it was time to head back to the hotel to meet the team to begin preparations for our departure.

So long Majuro, soon I will return to explore your gorgeous land and steer you away from plastic; but not before tackling plastic issues in my country first!

                                         It's KLG-the locals don't even know what it means!

                                         KLG alternative options
                                         National Museum
                                         Republic of Marshall Islands Flag
                                                   Local Craft Vendor


                                                   They must love University of Kentucky in Majuro



                                         Look at that-a local potcake!


No comments:

Post a Comment